I have three very busy, active young children that often go through fussy eating stages, big growth spurts and the occasional illness. I have tried many different multi vitamin supplements for them to assist with:
- building up their immune systems,
- helping to substitute while going through fussy eating periods,
- and to help during times of sickness.
The only multi vitamin that I find works really well to do all the above things is JungleVites Daily Multi V and Minerals.
Here’s what I like about this multi vitamin for children, and why I highly recommend it:
- The bottle has a childproof cap to keep kids who think that they are sweets, because they taste like sweets, from opening them and devouring more than they should;
- They come in a strawberry and vanilla flavoured chewy tablet, instead of the usual apple or blackcurrent flavour that most kids actually don’t enjoy;
- The bottle is plastic and not glass, to prevent breakage in case of accidental dropping of it;
- It has no artificial preservatives or sweeteners;
- It contains the following:
- Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, C, D3, E, H
- Folic acid
It is one of the very few multi vitamins for children that contains magnesium! Magnesium is extremely important for many different functions in the body, therefore I cannot understand why other children’s multi vitamins do not contain it.
To end this post off, here is an explanation on why magnesium is so vital for children, taken from Elizabeth Walling‘s article on magnesium. She has a website called The Nourished Life (www.livingthenourishedlife.com How to eat well, live healthy and love life with more balance and less stress), and she is part of the NaturalNews Network. The entire article can be read here www.naturalnews.com/026782_magnesium_child_children.html#
Magnesium relaxes the mind. The body uses magnesium to facilitate sending messages throughout our nervous system. Magnesium is also used to calm the nervous system, which is doubly important in children with hyperactivity disorders. With the right amount of magnesium present in the body, children can think clearer and concentrate better. Magnesium is also a key factor in the production of serotonin, an important neurotransmitter that provides a feeling of calm and well-being. Low levels of serotonin are associated with irritability, moodiness and depression.
Magnesium relaxes the body. Magnesium is essential for the relaxation of muscle fibers. Without this essential mineral, spasms and twitches are a common problem. Magnesium helps muscles in the body relax and function properly without disturbances. When the body feels calm, it is easier for hyperactive children to behave calmly.
Of course, there are dozens of other health benefits that come with getting plenty of magnesium, and here are just a few examples:
– Magnesium is essential in regulating blood sugar, which can prevent highs and lows.
– It helps absorb and utilize other important minerals and nutrients.
– It activates enzymes that manage energy production, nutrient absorption, hormone production, and much more.
– It’s a powerful antioxidant that protects the body from free radical damage.